Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Weekend Review

   The dream of a nice warm sunny weekend came to true this Memorial Day. Right on time too. May took the opportunity to do lawn and garden work. Others played games or frolicked about the beach.
   Personally I chose to volunteer my services and paint my Aunt Mary's rough old barn. Of course this was not my original notion. First I thought I'd go to the shop and get ahead on the workload. But quickly scoffed that off knowing that some time away would be beneficial. Then I thought about joining my group of friends for some recreation. But that seemed like a unwise use of my time and skills. Then as I showered (where I usually get my ideas) Saturday morning, it dawned on me...Why don't I take care of that peeling paint situation on that old garage? All I needed was some good weather, a bounty of equipment and a good head of steam. Fortunately I had plenty of everything. So off I went.
   I arrived before noon to learn that I was alone in my venture. I opened the door called out and waited for a reply. The only answer I received was from the little weiner dog Matty. She waddled over the threshold so I hooked her up on her line to keep me company. I quickly got to scrapping only to realize that I should probably be wearing a dust mask- so a hardware store run was in order. When I returned I looked to the deck only to see Matty's leash was lying on the floor...empty. Great! I came to help my Aunt out but I lost her dog instead. Long story short- Mary came by, picked up the dog and took off in a flash. Most likely just to screw with my head.
   After I regained my wits, I hit the project hard. With some much need help from the homes residence, we banged out the scrapping and priming by Sunday evening. Then came the big score...
   My house mate offered up his industrial airless paint chucker! That news turned this project from a two weekend project into a Memorial Day wrap-up. So I returned Monday bright and early toting hardware ready to kick it- and kick it I did. Four more hours and it's a wrap.
   Thanks everyone who lent a hand with my spur-of-the-moment folly. I know I made my Aunt happy- mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment