Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Floating Enigma

   Boating season. Lovely. I set up shop on the lake thinking boat decorating would be a decent source or revenue. As it turns out- not so much.
   After nearly seven years doing business near the water, I still haven't quite pinpointed the odd stigma surrounding boats and their owners. Perhaps it's the onslaught of seaweed or the fowl odour of rotting fish taints the minds of sea-bearers. One can only infer.
   This years tactic is to hike the price all things aquatic. Everything else related to boats is outrageous, why shouldn't their names, numbers and striping? In prior years I've priced nautical projects similarly to terrestrial. he problem there in is that cars and trucks can come to me. Boats however, seem to be tethered to their resting places, putting extra burden on my shop, requiring me to travel to them several times. The cost related to this have risen measurably as of late as have the materials associated with the actual decoration.
   All the factors listed sum up to a change in my approach to my floating friends. All aboard?

No comments:

Post a Comment