Friday, May 13, 2011

dueling hemispheres

   If I didn't know better, I'd admit that the fruits of labor out weigh the passing (or loss of) time. When you get seriously involved in a task, time seems to slow down to a snails pace. So much so that ten minutes may seem to be only one. This phenomenon is helpful when pulling overtime, but detrimental when you're working by an hourly rate. For me it's a delicate balancing act between the two hemispheres of my brain.
   Making folks proud is the name of this game. I know I've accomplish my goal when is see my customer standing tall with a grin upon their face. "It's the cherry on top of their sunday". The finishing touch that ties everything together. It makes all the long hours of designing, cutting, sanding and painting worth every second....until the other half of my brain kicks is and actually measures time to materials. That's when I come to the realization that in order to survive in this economy, I need to make harsh adjustments to survive. The romance of being an artist out to produce art needs to be precisely countered with actual currency.  

No comments:

Post a Comment