Thursday, June 9, 2011

To refurbish or not to refurbish

   Generally, I don't touch foreign old signs for several reasons. The first thing is that it's not my work. Who's is it and why don't they repaint it? I would be rather put-off if I discovered that some punk bastardized my work. Next, the layout or lettering is probably out dated or "incorrect" if you will. Ever attempt to put lipstick on a pig? Furthermore, the labour involved with the clean-up, resurfacing and hand painting usually outweighs the material savings.
   There are a couple of exceptions. For instance, a good customer came in with an old sign that her deceased brother made. Obviously there is sentimental value attached and certainly should be preserved. I will take great care and pride in doing so. Another example is another sign that recently came in. It's an enormous 30" x 10' plank of redwood. Unfortunately the gold leaf adorning the carved letters had degraded beyond salvage, but is still all there and has more years of life left in it.
   With any luck, the finish I'll apply to these signs will last longer than the previous application. I only hope that not too many more projects such as that wander in this year. For me, new is always the best policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment