Monday, June 6, 2011

For the Love of Fumes

There's just something about wrenching on cars. These days I'm more of a "doll-up" & maintenance guy but it's all about getting my hands greasy. The true fun of it is helping the ladies of my family. Recently  There's been a bunch of break jobs rolling out of my shop. However my latest amusement is the ride my Mom picked up. It's a 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. A well serviced southern car with low miles. Really clean inside and out.
Personally, I dig this car. It was a nice piece to begin with. Before she bought it, I drove it to my local mechanic and through it up on his lift to inspect it. It's rare to see no rust, but to see factory labels and markings in tact is extremely rare in NY State. Just then I knew we had a gem on our hands. All it needed was the regular wear items like breaks, tires, grease and filters. It was missing the center caps to the rims as well. I lucked out and found a complete set OEM set of chome rims.
Wheels are the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. Usually, It's the first thing I nail down- as it was in this case.
A fantastic craigslist.com find. The difference it made to this particular vehicle is nearly immeasurable.  Add the (correct size) BF Goodrich tires with gnarly aggressive street tread and she's off to the races!  Mom is just gleaming pearly whites from ear to ear. The
 tops down and those rims blinding oncoming traffic. Sam Mitrano of Mitrano Tire in Fowlerville set us up nicely while managing to keep the birthday surprise a secrete. The look on mom's face was priceless. I think that inspired her to want to tighten up all the other loose ends on this ride. Today we pulled the front wheels so she could paint the callipers fire red. That really set the chrome off nicely. Plus, we gave her an oil change while the tires were off. Perhaps a fresh set of plugs and wires are the next items to tackle.
Overall it's been a great experience working with my Mom on this vehicle. There's still a few things to button up, but it's defiantly drivable now and she's racking up the miles. Stay tuned for updates and other projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment