Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Man with the Golden Brushes

   It's important to know One's limits and understand that sometimes it's better to hire an expert for a task that may take One longer to accomplish alone.
   That's exactly what I did today. I called upon a fellow sign maker, or perhaps more accurately, a sign painter. Bruce has been spending most of his time painting homes rather than signs lately so he was he was happy to use a rainy day to get back to his roots.
   A few days ago I wrote about a couple of restoration projects I decided to take on. Well, time has become a factor so I decided to ask for a little help. Bruce came through with his case of fine brushes to add the sizing (or glue) necessary for me to add the new gold leaf to the nice old carved sign. After spending a good bit of time washing and preparing, he got right to it.
  I was surprised that the process took as long as it did, but I'm glad that he took the time to do it right. Tomorrow I will apply the gold and see the true skills that brought to the table. Thanks Bruce!

No comments:

Post a Comment